While we enjoy the beautiful snowfall outside the windows of your Walkerton home sometimes we get a little cabin fever? How about doing something fun that will amend joy with the cold, slippery white stuff? Here are 10 things to do this February season to keep active in the Walkerton scene:
1. Get a hot dog at a JGHS Basketball Game and take in the Falcon spirit!
JGHS Girls Varsity Basketball
2. Request a candlelight meal with a bouquet of flowers at your favorite Walkerton Area restaurant. February is the month of lovers.
3. Have fun antiquing at an antique mall? Shannon's Attic is a good place to start!
4. Go to see the Walkerton Area Historical Society Museum? Located at Michigan & Van Buren the museum is full of a vast collection going back to the mid 19th century! The house built in 1885 is full of exhibits, photographs, and memorabilia. Tthe Museum is open Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Other times by appointment located at 413 Michigan Street, at the corner of Van Buren St. call 574-586-2852.
Photo from Heritage House Museum
5. Take a cooking class from “The New Kitchen Store” with Chef Brad! It is held at Shiloh Woods, 5433 Quince Road, in Plymouth about 6 miles from the store. On February 20th we will be learning Middle East Cooking. This is a hands on class, and we eat when we finish cooking. Cost of class is 30.00 per person. A Reservation and prepayment is required, 574-586-2745. Class starts at 6:30pm and last until approximately 8:30pm.
Cooking Class at The New Kitchen Store
6. Have a session at the Third Thursday Book Club in the Walkerton Public Library. Starts at 6pm, February 15th. The February book for Third Thursday Book Club is THE DAY I DIED, by Lori Rader-Day. Anna Winger can know people better than they know themselves with only a glance—at their handwriting. When she is called to use her expertise on a note left behind at a murder scene in the small town she and her son have recently moved to, the crime gets under Anna’s skin and rips open her narrow life for all to see. To save her son—and herself—once and for all, Anna will face her every fear, her every mistake, and the past she thought she'd rewritten. Come on in to the library to borrow a copy! See you on the 15th at 6pm for a chat about the book!
Lots to do at the Walkerton Library
7. Potato Creek State Park is a favorite destination in the Walkerton Area! The Nature Center provides a free pair of traditional-style snowshoes for adventures in the snow! Just make a donation to our winter bird seed fund and help keep the wildlife feeding area stocked all winter long. You'll discover wintertime wildlife, and experience the rugged country terrain in the snow! An exhilarating time!
Snowshoes at Potato Creek State Park Nature Center
8. Discover your community through the lense of photography! Whether in your own yard? Or along a lonely country road? Plenty of details to be examined through the eyes of our own! So much to capture in time in the Walkerton Area?
Anita Shipley Photography
9. Attend one of the 13 area churches! Many denominations, volunteering, events, and the choirs! A great place to connect with your neighbors!
Grace Reformed Church - photo by Glenn Jerrell
10. Attend the Walkerton Town Council Meeting! Get involved in your community. On February 19th at 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm. At the Walkerton Municipal Building, 301 Michigan St.
The Walkerton Municipal Center
(A special Thanks to Anita Shipley for her photography)